Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Technology Fears are Waning

I am appreciative of the time spent in SI for so many reasons.  In the beginning, I didn't quite understand all the talk about digital worlds and spaces.  Why are we discussing this and why aren't we just writing in our daybooks?  But now, I'm getting it.  My eyes are opening and the lightbulb is on - everything is connected.  This is writing, I am writing, right now as I write this new post on my newly created blog, I am reflecting on my experiences and I am composing my thoughts - this is writing.  Had I not been in this class, at this time, during my summer break, I would not be learning how to use twitter or WeVideo or Screencast-O-Matic or other technologies on my own.  Honestly, I wouldn't, but I'm learning by doing which I think is the very best way. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for you openness Mary! I'm with you, it's only in spaces like this that I learn to use these tools, but when I start messing with them, I see how powerful they are as spaces to compose and I can't wait to get them into students' hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes without that little push, we might never try new things on our own. Especially, if you're like me, and the business of the daily grind of the school year seems to eat up all your time and energy.

    I like to think of the daybook as safe and private. I think that moving from the daybook to some digital spaces is a good way to play with the idea of drafting a thought in the daybook and moving it to a place of more synthesis with an audience in mind, like the blog.

    I really appreciated learning more about what you do and the IB program today. Thank you for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too have learned a lot this week on how to use digital space when writing and communicating. One thing I want to use more in the classroom is all the different ways to use Google docs. and Wiki to help increase group work and collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a cool feeling to have the light bulb be on. I like how the writing project work does that. It's like too often we get bogged down with so much stuff that it just sort of flickers. And I'm right with you about the tech learning. The play part of the process is I'm the best way to go about learning how to use it. It's nice having the space to play, with a brain-bulb fully lit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've learned a ton too. I think I am starting to write more because of technology. There have been so many helpful people who know more about technology than me and if they don't know, they are more than willing to struggle along with me to find out.

    ReplyDelete