I love this book! The gray tipped pages are the practical, learn it today, use it tomorrow, strategies to use before, during, and after reading of any kind of reading material, including a textbook. Most of the strategies are familiar like concept mapping, K-W-Ls, and other oldies but goodies. Some new strategies that I'll definitely try out this year include:
It says/I say/And so... - students summarize text, make connections to text, and draw conclusions that supports an answer
Probable Passage - teacher selects key words and provides to students to group prior to reading a text
Written Conversation - students "talk" during reading by writing and exchanging notes
The common thread with all of these strategies is the teacher's role in modeling how to use them, using think alouds to share how good readers think, and practicing with students until they internalize the strategies and can use them independently.
No comments:
Post a Comment