Friday, July 6, 2012

Inquiry into Childhood Memories

After mapping my childhood home yesterday, I was left with many questions about the "missing" parts.  How did I feel about moving from NY to FL?  Why did I cry at school and how long did that last?  How were my working parents able to come to school during the day?  Things I never thought about much before this activity.  So, I called my mom, as I do each day, and started our conversation with, "I have some questions." She replied, "OK."  I asked about the move and what happened and explained to her how I just didn't remember all of the details.  She seemed surprised that I couldn't recall these things and remembered it quite well.  She told me that I cried at school for maybe a week.  Since my dad was a chef and worked nights, they were able to come to school and have lunch with me.  But that only happened one or two times since my Kindergarten teacher told my parents they were doing more harm by being there and I needed to get used to my new school setting.  I adjusted after awhile.  Good thing I didn't hold a grudge against the school house since I spend most of my waking hours in one now.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting how as children we internalize events that may not have been long term or significant to adults and remember them in our minds as more than they were. I think it really has to do with our emotions. It seems like your memory of being unhappy at school had some very powerful emotions behind it and caused you to think that you were crying for more than a week! I know that I have had similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved mapping my childhood neighborhood. I had so many memories about my old friends, my elementary school, and all the places we used to play. I had not spent time thinking of this special place in a long time, and I thought it was therapeutic. I do wonder now that I look back on the memories, were times as good as I think, was life simpler, were we all without stress? Probably not, but I like to remember it that way.

    ReplyDelete